Charcoal and crayon on paper
6 x 4 inches (15.2 x 10.2 cm)
Signed lower right and signed, titled and dated verso
Gift of the artist to William Lieberman, 1978
The estate of William Lieberman, 2006
The Metropolitan Museum of Art n.d
About the Painting:
This work comes from the collection of William S. Lieberman(1923-2005) legendary curator who worked first at the Museum of Modern Art and then at the Metropolitan Museum.. He joined MoMA as an assistant to director Alfred H. Barr in 1945, became head of its print department in ’49 and founding director of its department of drawings in ‘71. He left MoMA in 1979 for the Met, where he served as head of its 20th-century art department until last year. He was celebrated for his many personal connections among the art-world’s movers and shakers, which enabled him to bring Gertrude Stein’s art collection to MoMA and the Jacques and Natasha Gelman collection to the Met.